TMD, or temporomandibular joint disorder, is a disorder that causes pain in your jaw joint and the surrounding muscles. This disorder can compromise the movement of the jaw and the area around it. This can be very uncomfortable and might need assistance from Dr. Christopher Drew to remedy. There are several things you can do at home to provide temporary relief before you come visit Dr. Drew for treatment.
Some things you can do to help this condition are:
- Ice: Using ice packs can help reduce the swelling of your jaw. Wrap an ice pack in a clean cloth and apply it for 10-15 minutes.
- Moist Heat: A warm washcloth applied to the area can help relieve the pain and make it easier to stretch out your jaw muscles.
- Pain medication: Some over-the-counter medications can temporarily relieve the pain and swelling. This should not be a long term solution.
- Relaxation: Deep slow breathing and using visual imagery to reduce pain can be effective.
- Jaw Relaxation Technique: Slow gentle stretching of the jaw muscles along with a deliberate effort to keep the jaw relaxed and your lips loose. Avoid clenching your jaw.
- Side Sleeping: Sleep on your side to give support to your shoulder and neck.
- Soft Foods: Eating soft foods will give your jaw a rest, avoid anything that might cause your joint to strain. Also avoid chewing gum.
If your symptoms don’t improve after implementing these above suggestions, you could have a serious TMJ issue. To find TMD relief, make an appointment to see Dr. Drew. He will be able to give you a diagnosis and come up with a treatment plan to relieve the symptoms specific to what is causing your TMD. Some of the reasons you might be experiencing TMJ are:
- Cartilage Wear and Tear
- Dislocated TMJ
- Clenching and Grinding
- Misaligned bite or Malocclusion
We look forward to helping you with any TMJ issue Please call our offices today and get the relief that you need!